According to New York Therapist, Lee McKay Doe, Internalised Capitalism looks like ……
- Feeling guilty for resting
- Your self-worth is largely based on doing well in your career
- Placing productivity before health
- Believing hard work = happiness
- Feeling lazy, even when you’re experiencing pain, trauma or adversity
- Using busyness as a way of avoiding your needs .
Many of us will recognise many of these thoughts in ourselves. And this is why we might find meditation so difficult.
Finding meditation so difficult
When we meditate, we lower our stress levels, we get to know our pain, we connect better, we improve our focus, and we’re kinder to ourselves. All of these things can improve our health, and as a consequence help us become better at our internalised capitalism.
Being super focussed on the here and now, rather than planning what to do next, or reviewing the past, is the basis of mindfulness and also can be a good focus when meditating. But that also requires letting go of the here and now too. Learning to be who you are, and liking it is sufficient.
If I am chugging along nicely I don’t find the tine to meditate. If I am super stressed I find it really beneficial, If I am not too busy then it’s a useful way of connecting with myself and with others.
So how to avoid the guilt trip?
• See meditation as part of work. – and so it’s not ‘resting’
• Recognise meditation can help you focus – so you can be better at your career and self worth
• Meditation can improve your heath – and with better health more productivity
• Meditating is not being lazy – it’s not easy to do
• It’s a way of being busy, but also it can be a way of recognising and meeting your needs.
Meditating Mindfully is difficult on your own – better to join a group and meditate on Zoom or whatever. Your colleagues can give you insights and encouragements as well as the discipline. You can also watch how the others meditate – though it is often more interesting to watch paint dry (especially these paintings).
Written by David Rigby, © 2020 Smart Coaching & Training Ltd